Many MLS Subscribers have had the opportunity over the years to seek out MLS-related advice from Realcomp's CEO, Karen S. Kage. If you are among them, you may know that Karen is an expert in her field, respected in the real estate industry, and savvy when it comes to analyzing and solving business-related issues. For this Staff Spotlight article, Karen shared a few business and personal aspects of her life.
"Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. I try
to live by this every day."
How long have you worked at Realcomp?
• I have been with Realcomp since we began in January, 1994.
Which positions have you worked within the company?
• I started as the MLS Manager, and then I was the Director of Operations. In 1998, I assumed the role as Interim CEO and then accepted the role of CEO in early 1999.
What aspect of your role at Realcomp do you enjoy the most?
• I love working with our Staff. We are truly a family at Realcomp and I care very deeply for each person that works here. I also enjoy talking with our customers. I can’t always give the answer they may want, but I think they know they can trust I will tell them the truth.
What book did you read last? What is your favorite book?
• Well, this is near and dear to my heart. I love to read! I enjoy CIA, FBI, conspiracy stories. I read Michael Connelly, Lee Child, David Baldacci, and others like this.
What movie did you watch last? What are your favorite movies of all time?
• I absolutely love "West Side Story". I can sing every song – not very well – but I can still sing them. I also love “The Way We Were”. These days most of the movies I see are the ones made for kids.
Favorite musicians/music? What music have you listened to recently?
• I listen mainly to contemporary Christian music. I really enjoy the Casting Crowns, Mercy Me and Third Day. I grew up listening to Motown (of course!) and I still enjoy it today.
• I enjoy home improvement projects; I like to volunteer at my church and I love spending time with my family.
What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
If you could pass along a favorite quote or piece of wisdom, what would it be?
• Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. I try to live by this every day.
What's on your bucket list?
• Number one on my bucket list is to see every Lion’s game live in one season. I would only hope that the Green Bay, Chicago, and New York away games are early in the season!
Karen was named in 2010 one of Inman News' 100 Most Influential Real Estate Leaders. Karen also serves on the REALTOR.Com MLS Executive Advisory Board and on the Lifepoint Christian Church Board of Trustees. She can be contacted via e-mail at email@example.com, on Facebook, and on LinkedIn.